03 June 2008

When the leaves come falling down..

i got to thinking about a Julie Miller song with the line: "when the leaves come falling down, I still cry." I wondered, given that the leaves fall in autumn, weather Julie 's blue state at such a time is due to S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Then again, thought I, she's just raked, swept and picked up all those blankety-blank leaves and here are some more falling down - and she'll soon be picking those up too and then some more will fall down etc, etc ad nauseam. Certainly makes me blue to see my good leaf-cleaning up work undone by normal autumnal attrition aided by a stiff cold breeze. I haven't cried yet but I might.

A good song with a poignant lyric that's what might make me cry. Like some of the stuff by David Wilcox and Beth Nielsen-Chapman - songs like "Every December Sky" and "Deeper Still" both of which I saw Beth perform on Mountain Stage (from the mountain state of West Virginia and was playing on TV channel Stratos on Sunday nights). The line from "Every December Sky" - "every rose that blooms assures my soul" was the one that pierced my heart.

The same night Julie Adams sang the Bob Franke (rhymes with Yankee) "Hard Love". All I knew about Bob Franke was as a name on David Wilcox's lips. What a song - hear it before you die - "Jesus' cross redeems us, our own just waste our time.." You can find Bob's live version on-line but Julie Adams' reading was the one that took my breath away.

http://www.mountainstage.org/mtnstagelive.aspx

...this gets you to the Mountain Stage web-site where you can hear some stuff by folks captured live - like Patty Larkin who I'm hearing as I type this. It wont cure your Seasonal Affective Disorder but it might make it a little more bearable. And Julie Miller has been known to show up there.

I think God likes Mountain Stage and looks in often.

...meanwhile live your lives with joy, honesty and truthfulness, and with your sense of humour properly installed (refer to the manual)

love to all, kisses for the ladies and hugs for the brothers

Richard

No comments: